The Best Pound Cake
Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 1 hr 30 mins
2 sticks salted butter
3 cups sugar
8 oz sour cream
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
Remember to use salted butter.
- Let butter, eggs, and sour cream come to room temperature
- Put butter in stand mixer, set to medium speed, then add three cups of sugar. Cream the mixture, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. While the mixture is creaming, move to the flour.
- Sift three cups of flour onto one piece of wax paper. Then, on a second piece of wax paper, scoop three level cups of the sifted flour from the first piece of paper. Do not pack in the flour.
- Add baking soda and salt to the flour, the sift into a bowl. By now the butter and sugar should be creamed.
- Separate each egg, putting all the whites in a bowl and adding the yolks to the batter. After each yolk is added to the batter, mix thoroughly. Add sour cream and flour, one-third at a time, rotating between the two and mixing well between each addition. Add the vanilla and almond.
- Grease and flour a bundt pan.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, then fold the egg whites into the batter. Pour the batter into the bundt pan.
- Bake at 300°F for 90 minutes. This cake is unstable while baking, so minimize vibrations and loud noises.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes. Then turn out onto a plate and then quickly turn over again onto a cake platter so that the crunchy crust is on top.