After a meeting of her top security officials to consider intelligence after the attack in Manchester on Monday night that killed 22 people and wounded dozens more at a pop concert, Mrs. May said that “it is a possibility we cannot ignore that there is a wider group of individuals linked to this attack.”
This announcement came just hours after British authorities released the identity of the Manchester suicide bomber, 22-year-old Salman Abedi. The death toll from that bombing at a crowded Ariana Grande concert stands at 22 dead and up to 60 injured.
She added that that soldiers would be deployed to assist armed police, and free some of them up to pursue the possibility that the bomber in Manchester, Salman Abedi, 22, did not act alone and was part of a larger cell that could be planning further attacks.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the cowardly terror attack against innocent children and teenagers. Abedi was a British citizen, the son of Libyan immigrants, according to Greater Manchester Policy Chief Constable Ian Hopkins, the Times reported.
With so many possible leads to follow, British police are “stretched.”
Richard Barrett, former director of global counterterrorism operations at MI6, Britain’s foreign intelligence agency, said that the security and police forces were stretched, having to monitor more than 400 people returning from jihad in the Middle East, and 600 or so others who had tried to go but had been stopped. “So that’s already 1,000 people,” without taking into account other sympathizers in Britain, he said.
Pray for our friends and allies in Britain. The terrorists must not be allowed to triumph and create an atmosphere of fear. Pray that they are quickly and decisively apprehended and brought to justice, followed by a redoubled commitment by all civilized nations to stamp out this pox on humanity.