According to a recent Quinnipiac University poll, the majority of Americans would like to see Democrats retake control of Congress this fall.
American voters say 53 – 38 percent, including 47 – 36 percent among independent voters, they want the Democratic Party to win control of the U.S. House of Representatives this year. Voters say 54 – 39 percent, including 51 – 38 percent among independent voters, they want the Democrats to win control of the U.S. Senate this year.
The Democrats can do a better job handling immigration, voters say 52 – 38 percent. Democrats can do a better job handling gun violence, voters say 52 – 31 percent.
Americans also believe the Democrats are more likely to handle the Dreamers situation well:
American voters support 80 – 16 percent allowing undocumented children brought to the U.S. as children, so-called “Dreamers,” to remain and eventually apply for citizenship. Every listed group supports Dreamers by wide margins.
Voters think 63 – 27 percent that Trump wants Dreamers to be deported. Only Republicans think Trump wants Dreamers to remain. And voters think 55 – 32 percent that Republicans in Congress want Dreamers deported. Again, only Republicans think their leaders want Dreamers to remain. Voters think 85 – 8 percent that Democrats in Congress want Dreamers to stay
Other interesting stats from the February poll:
- Americans overwhelmingly support stricter gun laws, 66 – 31 percent
- Universal background checks are supported nearly unanimously, 97 – 2 percent, including 97 – 3 percent among gun owners.
- 67 – 29 percent support a nationwide ban on the sale of assault weapons.
- 83 – 14 percent support a mandatory waiting period for all gun purchases.
- The majority of Americans disapprove of Trump's military parade, 61 – 26 percent.