After more than three months of online speculation, twisted narrative and continuous street protests, a grand jury today determined that Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson will be not indicted in the fatal shooting of Michael Brown, setting the stage for potential violent clashes between police and protesters tonight and perhaps throughout the week.

It will not be the Thanksgiving they had hoped for, not that they expected it to be any different considering the deep history of racism towards blacks in the Missouri judicial system.

Whatever others may say, whatever others may believe, the issue was always about race to the Ferguson community, which is two-third black while its police department is overwhelmingly white.

Today’s grand jury decision did nothing but deepen the wounds of history.

After all, a grand jury only decides if there is enough probable cause to proceed with a trial. It’s not a determination of whether somebody is innocent or guilty.

And every day, police claim they have enough probable cause to charge us with crimes, so why was it so hard to do the same for Wilson, who numerous witnesses said shot and killed Michael Brown while the teenager was surrendering?

It’s not surprising some protesters reacted violently.

Alex Wroblewshi-Ferguson2

Protesters unleash their anger on a police car as officers look on (Photo by Alex Wroblewski)

According to the USA Today:

Prosecutor McCullough made the announcement in an unusual nighttime presentation in a courtroom. He spoke at length about media coverage of the case and what he called the unreliability of eyewitness accounts. He said the grand jury weighed evidence and testimony before concluding there was no probable cause to indict the officer.

“The duty of the grand jury is to separate fact from fiction,” McCulloch said.

“The jury was not inclined to indict on any charges,” Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Brown’s family, said after being informed of the decision by authorities.

Brown’s family attorneys received a call from McCulloch shortly before the announcement. Crump took the call and and delivered the news to Brown’s family in an area hotel.

“The jury was not inclined to indict on any charges,” Crump said to Lesley McSpadden, Brown’s mother. “He (McCulloch) said he would be willing to meet with you all.”

McSpadden began crying and shouting. Her body vibrated with pain as she jumped to her feet.

“I do want to meet with him right now,” McSpadden screamed. “What do you mean no indictment?!”

She then ran out of a hotel room followed by family members.

Brown’s family later released a statement saying, “We are profoundly disappointed that the killer of our child will not face the consequence of his actions.” The urged others who share their pan to “channel your frustration in ways that will make a positive change.”

Come back for updates.

Click here for live stream of protests where it’s already getting chaotic.

Click here to read testimony from Wilson that went before the grand jury.

And click here to see photos of Wilson’s injuries after his confrontation with Brown. Or better yet, just look at the one below, a scratch on his cheek which shows you the closest he came to having a broken eye socket.


Screen Shot 2014-11-25 at 6.17.49 AM