And it probably won’t stop. It’s the battle of the child vs the vegetables. Don’t worry- it’s not just you. I’m sure that if you asked any of your friends, they’d all have the same concerns, but today we have some ideas to help.
We are going to find sneaky ways to get our kids to eat more veggies! From the healthy eater to the picky eater… we’ve got you covered. Between children and a plate of peas is as old as time. While you may have assumed other parents struggle to get their kids to eat their veggies, what you may not have realized is that diet experts go through the same torturous trials.
Just like your kids, their kids are ninja masters of vegetable camouflage, sneaking their green beans into the dog’s bowl, burying their peas under the mashed potatoes, and hiding Brussels sprouts on the window ledge behind the hot dog bun.
Here are some mom-approved ways to get your kids to eat more veggies, without nagging them:
- Serve veggies with dip like ranch or hummus!
- When you are making spaghetti, add some blended carrots or another veggie to the sauce.
- Have veggies prepped and ready in the fridge for snacking. When your child is hungry before dinner, tell the the only option is the veggies.
- Try out a variety of vegetables! Not everyone is going to like the same kind. Sometimes kids prefer them fresh over cooked.
- Set the example with yourself. If you do not eat vegetables yourself, your kids will notice!
- Add spinach or kale to your smoothies. When it is blended with berries and other fruit, no one will ever notice!
- When you are introducing a new vegetable, have a “take at least one bite” rule.
- Keep trying! It can take time for kids to develop a taste for veggies. Sometimes it can take ten tries.
- Make the veggies into a pattern, face, or design on their plates. It may be more fun and they won’t even realize they are eating them!
- Head to a local farmer’s market or grocery store and encourage your child to pick out a couple vegetables to try!
What tips would you add to the list?