Wearing the right clothes, whether it’s a crown, swirling ballet skirt or builders hard hat, seems to complete their pretend play. The secret to the very best dress up costumes lies in the child’s imagination. If they feel the costume is right, then it’s perfect!
You’ll also want to read our Favorite Items for Our Pretend Clothes Chest. This post contains lots of great ideas on how to stock your kids dress up costumes.
CREATIVE DRESS UP IDEAS FOR KIDS
- Use Dad’s old shirt to make a doctor’s coat! Tip: You can use stitch witchery fusible bonding web to make this a no sew project. -via The Bear and the Fox
- Use an old pillowcase or bedsheet to make a nurse’s apron. You can also make this project no sew by using fusible bonding web. -via Crafty Cupboard
- Super heroes can try this super simple super hero cape which you can make in minutes, using fabric glue if you don’t want to sew. -via Mama Smiles
- Here’s some cute dress up ideas that will inspire you. -via Kids Activities Blog
- I love this pretty lace princess crown. -via BeauCoup
- Use a tshirt dress to make a 1920s flapper costume.- via Tessie Fay
DRESS UP IDEAS FOR EVERYONE!
- Everybody loves unicorns!! Make this DIY unicorn costume for hours of dress up fun. -via Craftaholics Anonymous
- A dress up stage is a great way for kids to act out their imaginative play. -via House of Turquoise
- You can also turn an old armoire or tv stand into a DIY dress up closet. Add a mirror on the side. -via Decorating Delirium
- If your kid loves Pokemon as much as mine do, then you need to make this no sew Ash Ketchum Pokemon costume to add to their creative play arsenal. -via Kids Activities Blog
- Make a DIY felt stick horse for cowboy play. No sewing required!
- This is so cool! Make a DIY Paper Dinosaur Hat. -via Cutting Tiny Bites
- Your kid will love this DIY Dress Up Mailman idea! -via Making of a Mom
SO MANY DRESS UP IDEAS YOU’LL LOVE
- Learn how to make beautiful dress up wings in this tutorial. -via Pretty Prudents
- These felt and fabric animal ears for make believe play would be wonderful to add to your great dress up ideas. -via Hart and Sew
- Add a super full no sew tulle skirt to your child’s imaginative play stash for lots of dress up ideas. -via Living Well Spending Less
- Dive into the craft box and create a bird mask. -via Pink and Green Mama
- Here are some more no sew superhero capes. Includes a FREE template! -via Jolly Mom
- Not a costume, but a great DIY project for hours of make believe fun–make a DIY Cardboard Camper! This Airstream is perfect for boys! -via The Merry Thought
- Dress up isn’t complete without some cute bling! Check out this guide to DIY jewelry. -via Felt with Love Designs
I think keeping costumes simply let kids imaginations go wild. What do your kids love to use to dress up? Share your dress up ideas on our Facebook page!
Raising 5 children (and countless animals) on a 10 acre mini farm in North Texas, Allie enjoys organic gardening, homestead recipes, and country living inspiration. She started blogging in 2009 and is the creator of motheringwithapurpose.com, a blog inspiring others to live positively, reach their goals, and know their purpose. Find her at www.facebook.com/motheringwap.