Might I suggest building a marshmallow tower? This awesome kid engineering project is simple to set up yet full of learning opportunities and good old fashioned fun. I must admit I had as much fun as my preschooler with this one. It would be a really cool activity for a playdate or party. Turn it into a game by challenging the kids to build the tallest or most creative marshmallow structure possible! Oh yes and I almost forgot, there’s the added tasty bonus of building with delicious materials! And, because this project uses large marshmallows and straws it is great for a wide age range: from toddlers to school kids!
TO BUILD A JUMBO MARSHMALLOW TOWER YOU’LL NEED
- Jumbo Marshmallows
- Plastic Drinking Straws
HOW TO BUILD MARSHMALLOW TOWERS
- Cut straws at varying lengths, making sure to hold the scissors at an angle so that the ends of your straw pieces are pointed. You will want a nice variety of sizes but for stable building you will need many pieces at about the same size. I did a group of long, a group of short, and a group of medium that had the bendy bit at the center.
- On a stable surface, set up your straw pieces and marshmallows.
- Let your little one go to town building a tower or two, or a whole city!
- Add another layer of play by challenging them to see how tall they can build!
- After all that hard work, don’t forget to enjoy a marshmallow treat!
This activity is so engrossing, it could easily buy you some quiet time. However, if you’re up for it, I highly recommend getting in on the building action, it really is a blast!
What are you waiting for? Go build a few tasty marshmallow towers!