Police Release the SMH Last Text Sent by Teen Who Died While Texting in Bathtub

Lubbock, Texas - Police released a photo of the last thing a teenage girl texted before she was fatally electrocuted. Madison Coe, a 14-year-old Texas girl, was visiting her father in New Mexico on July 9 and was in the bathtub when she snapped a photo of her cell phone’s charger plugged into an e

Lubbock, Texas - Police released a photo of the last thing a teenage girl texted before she was fatally electrocuted.

Madison Coe, a 14-year-old Texas girl, was visiting her father in New Mexico on July 9 and was in the bathtub when she snapped a photo of her cell phone’s charger plugged into an extension cord, which was on top of a towel on a bath mat, according to the New York Daily News.

“When you use and (SIC) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you’re in the bath,” Madison Coe wrote underneath the photo.

Police said Coe had plugged her cellphone charger into an extension cord so she could use her cellphone while in the bathtub, the New York Daily News reported.

The Lovington Police said the cord was plugged into a non-grounded outlet with no circuit interrupting safety mechanisms, the newspaper reported.

The initial reports were that Madison Coe died after dropping her cell phone in the bathtub. A new report from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Lovington Police Department stated that Coe’s cellphone was never immersed in the water.

The girl touched a frayed part of the extension cord that had water on it that led to the bathtub electrocution, according to police. The report by the federal safety commission and police said Coe made efforts to keep the cord dry but may not have known the cord was frayed.

Coe’s parents are trying to raise awareness of the dangers of texting while in a bathtub and released the final photo in hopes of preventing similar accidents, the newspaper reported.

Madison Coe’s stepmother Felisha Owens said that the teenager liked to take baths, according to CBS TV station KRQE.

“It’s not uncommon for her to spend two hours to two and a half hours in the bathtub,” the stepmother told the TV station.

If you have a child, please speak with them about not using plugged-in electronics in the bathtub.

false